Coffee has always been a staple when it comes to getting the morning started, long before quarantine began.
Most of us remember waking up on a Saturday morning and the house smelling of freshly brewed coffee. Somewhere along the way there came a point when the freshly brewed coffee turned into a Saturday morning coffee run.
Given the current situation of the world, now that many of us are stuck at home, coffee is more essential now than ever. We want to share with you some of our favorite coffee recipes that are super easy to make!
1. The Easy Latte
A latte is simply a fancy word for ‘espresso with milk.' Lattes are great because it's as customizable as you need it to be. You can use any type of milk you like, it can be made hot or iced, and you can also use any flavorings that tickle your fancy.
Feel free to add chocolate, vanilla, white chocolate, caramel, cinnamon or whatever it is you're craving and it will surely work inside the latte! Now, the trademark of the latte is the frothed milk, which means the milk that's been steamed to the point of a light foam texture. So if you are looking to step up your morning coffee, a latte is the way to go!
Your basic latte recipe goes like this:
- Brew the coffee or espresso of your choice.
- Microwave your choice of milk for 30-45 seconds in a microwave-safe coffee mug.
- Once the milk is heated, whisk vigorously for 15-30 seconds until the milk is frothy.
- Pour your coffee into a mug, then gently pour the frothed milk over your coffee.
- Optional: to customize your latte, be sure to add your choice of flavor (such as chocolate syrup or vanilla extract) to the milk before you heat it!
2. Whipped Coffee
Whipped coffee has quickly made its way onto the scene and taken the internet by storm! Whipped coffee became popular during this quarantine for its intriguing (but easy) process. This is a great recipe that you can make with your children. You get your coffee, they get to create something fun...everybody wins!
All you have to do is follow these simple steps!
- Add 2 tablespoons of each into a bowl: hot water, sugar, instant coffee (needs to be instant, otherwise it won't work!)
- Use a whisk or an electric mixer to whip the mixture until it thickens.
- In a glass, fill halfway with your favorite milk and/or cream. Add ice.
- Dollop the coffee mixture on top.
3. Classic Iced Coffee
As the heat rolls in, sometimes a hot cup of coffee doesn’t sound so appealing. At the same time, you don’t want to have to go spend $5 on an iced coffee that'll be gone in 2 minutes! Instead, you can go ahead and make your own with this easy iced coffee recipe.
It's super simple, just follow these 4 steps:
- Mix 4 tablespoons of instant coffee into boiling water.
- Mix until dissolved.
- Stir in your choice of milk, chocolate syrup, and ⅛ tsp of vanilla extract.
- Serve over ice & drink up!
4. Blended Mocha
You know those moments after lunch when you’re craving something sweet, but also need a burst of energy? We have the solution – you’re welcome.
Instead of leaving your house and shelling out money for an ice-blended drink, try this recipe out:
- In a bowl combine 4 tbsp of instant coffee powder and boiling water (mix until dissolved).
- Combine the coffee mixture with your choice of milk, chocolate syrup and ice into a blender.
- Blend until you have a slushy texture.
- Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream and more chocolate syrup!
- Optional: if you want a caramel alternative, swap out the chocolate syrup in the recipe for caramel syrup!
Is your mouth watering yet?
Take a break from your $5 latte and whip up a drink of your own! Who knows – at the end of the quarantine, you may find that you prefer to make your own version of your usual coffee drink instead of buying it. Channel your inner barista!
What's your go-to coffee drink? Let us know in the comments below.
As always, thank you so much for supporting Modern Gents and we'll see you in our next post!