Let’s face it, this pandemic has us all feeling like we need a drink! (Or two, or three.)
If you’re someone who used to frequent the bars for their favorite mixed drink or has a favorite brewery, chances are you’re reminiscing your weekend nights. However, this pandemic might be a great time to learn how to make your own drinks and experiment with different liquors without paying top dollar for it!
The Modern Gents team came together and wrote up a list of our favorite cocktails. If you’re tired of those bottom-shelf whiskey cokes, give these babies a try!
Manhattan - Whiskey
Feelin’ fancy? Imagine you’re a 19th century New York socialite and sip on this:
- 2 oz bourbon or rye
- 1 oz Sweet Vermouth
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 1 dash of orange bitters
- Garnish with brandied cherries
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing glass with ice, and stir until well-chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
- Garnish with a brandied cherry.
Recipe courtesy of liquor.com
Long Island Iced Tea - Vodka, Rum, Gin, Tequila
This one’s for the guy or gal who doesn’t screw around – let’s just get straight to the point. If you can’t choose one liquor, why not have them all?
- ½ oz vodka
- ½ oz rum
- ½ oz gin
- ½ oz tequila
- ½ oz triple sec (orange flavored liqueur)
- 1 oz sweet and sour mix
- 1 oz cola
- 1 lemon slice
- Add vodka, rum, gin, tequila, and trip sec in a cocktail shaker with ice, cover, and shake.
- Pour into a Collins or hurricane glass.
- Top with a splash of cola for color, garnish with a lemon slice.
Recipe courtesy of allrecipes.com
Moscow Mule - Ginger Beer, Vodka
If you’re a simple, no-nonsense person, this is the drink for you. The Moscow mule only needs three ingredients. It’s easy to make but tastes great.
- 2 oz vodka (we recommend a high-quality vodka like Tito’s)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 oz ginger beer
- Fill a copper mug or a tall cocktail glass with ice.
- Add vodka and lime juice, the fill to the top with ginger beer.
- Give the drink a quick stir, then serve cold.
Recipe courtesy of gimmesomeoven.com
Penicillin - Blended Scotch
Feeling under the weather? This drink will make it alllllll okay. (Serious note: if you’re feeling ill, please refrain from drinking until you feel better!)
- 2 oz blended scotch
- ¾ oz fresh lemon juice
- ¾ oz honey-ginger syrup (see below for instructions)
- ¼ oz Islay single-malt scotch
- Candied ginger
- Combine the blended Scotch with the honey-ginger syrup and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker ¾ filled with ice.
- Shake until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with one large cube.
- Top with the Islay Scotch and garnish with candied ginger.
- Honey-Ginger Syrup: Combine 1 cup of honey with one 6-inch peeled and sliced piece of ginger root with 1 cup of water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Refrigerate overnight, then strain, discarding the solids.
Recipe courtesy of punchdrink.com
Cosmopolitan - Vodka
It’s pink, it’s iconic, it’s never going anywhere! Channel your inner Sex & The City and kick back with the famous pink drink. We know you secretly live for it!
- 1 ½ oz citrus vodka
- 1 oz Cointreau
- ½ oz fresh lime juice
- 1 dash cranberry juice
- Lime garnish
- Add all ingredients into a shaker with ice and shake.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
That completes our first list of quarantine cocktails, handpicked by the Modern Gents team. Make sure to always drink responsibly. Stay tuned for part 2, we’ll have more for you to try out. What’s your go-to drink? Let us know what we need to try in the comments below!
Thank you for the continued support during this tough time! Please continue to be safe, practice social distancing, and take care of yourself & your loved ones. We’ll see you in the next post.