Buying an engagement ring is a thrilling and wonderful time in anybody’s life, and finding the one that’s just right is supremely satisfying! There’s no question, however, that it can also be a little nerve-wracking — especially if the ring will be a surprise.
To find that perfect ring to express your love, one of the biggest choices you’ll have to make is the choice between gold or silver engagement rings. Fortunately, Modern Gents has great options for both, so let’s take a look at how you can figure out which one is right for you!
Gold Engagement Rings
Gold is an iconic choice for jewelry of all kinds, but especially wedding and engagement rings. Its lustrous quality and resistance to tarnishing have made it a beloved metal since ancient times. Today, Modern Gents has made a gorgeous gold ring more affordable and more accessible than ever!
Another great property of gold is that its color can change significantly when alloyed with other metals. For example, an alloy of gold and copper produces the gorgeous reddish tinge of rose gold, which has become one of the most popular wedding materials. Modern Gents’ selection includes a wide variety of rings plated in both rose gold and yellow gold engagement rings so you can find the perfect option for you.
Should gold lovers look for a pure gold ring? For most people, there are better choices since pure 24 karat gold is quite soft and accumulates dings and scratches easily. That’s why almost all wedding jewelry uses gold alloyed with other materials to make it stronger. To create an even more durable take on the classic gold ring, Modern Gents rings use gold plating on sterling silver rings.
Silver Engagement Rings
Despite what the Olympics might lead you to believe, there’s nothing second-best about the beauty of silver. Silver certainly creates a different vibe from gold, however. For starters, silver is often associated with the moon, whereas gold is associated with the sun. Silver is a little mysterious where gold is forthright, subtle where gold is direct and sleek where gold is robust. For a lot of people, that’s exactly the look they want for their wedding ring!
Like pure gold, silver in its pure form isn’t very durable. For this reason, most silver rings (including Modern Gents’) are instead made from sterling silver, an alloy that mixes silver with small amounts of other metals such as copper. This makes sterling silver substantially better at standing up to everyday wear and tear.
The biggest caveat of sterling silver is its capacity to tarnish. Fortunately, we thought of that, too, which is why our sterling silver jewelry also features rhodium plating! Rhodium is an extraordinarily durable metal that maintains the bright sheen of silver, but is highly resistant to tarnishing.
Gold or Silver Engagement Ring: Things to Think About
So, when it comes to the big decision between gold and silver engagement rings, which is the right choice for your relationship? Here are some tips to consider:
- Lots of couples today select their engagement rings together. This is a great way to make sure you get a ring that both of you love and eliminates the stressful guesswork of figuring out whether your partner prefers a gold or silver ring.
- If you’re selecting a surprise ring, think about what jewelry metals your partner usually favors. You might take a quick peek in their jewelry box if you’re not sure.
- Got a specific style in mind? Whether you choose a gold ring or a silver ring, you’ll find all of the stylistic options you’re looking for at Modern Gents. See our vintage wedding rings collection for designs that draw from the rich history of wedding jewelry, or check out our trending wedding rings for the latest in fashionable ring styles.
- With Modern Gents rings, there’s no real difference in upkeep between our gold and silver finishes. We’ve designed all of our rings to resist tarnishing, so you won’t have to worry about constantly polishing and cleaning the ring.
- You might have heard (or learned the hard way) that the alloy materials in some rings can cause the wearer’s finger to turn green. With cheaply made rings, this can occur in both gold and silver finishes. Fortunately, Modern Gents uses high quality materials guaranteed to banish green-finger syndrome.
Can’t make up your mind between gold and silver? Read our guide to mixing gold and silver jewelry and learn how to get the best of both worlds! When you’re ready to choose, check out our whole selection of affordable engagement rings in gold and silver finishes — always priced for regular people, and always built with quality in mind.