Wedding rings have a number of traditions attached to them. Like most any tradition, however, typical engagement ring traditions from ancient times have long been broken. Today’s engagement and wedding trends even encourage this mold-breaking spirit, and the results are both creative and colorful!
Even though the saying goes that diamonds are a girl’s best friend, there is always room for a little bit of change. Colored gemstones in an engagement ring not only attract the eye, but they also each hold a unique meaning. If you are considering a nontraditional gemstone for your engagement rings, check out a few of our favorite gemstone rings and the meanings they hold.
1. Opal Engagement Ring Meaning: Among all gemstone engagement rings, opal is perhaps the most traditional and timeless option. And aside from diamonds, it is one of the most popular choices for those seeking unique engagement rings. Opal has a unique opaque yet iridescent reflection and brightens up the finger of the wearer. Opal is also an eye-catching stone due to the white base color and the variety of colors it displays when it catches the light.
Historically, opal has been considered a precious gemstone due to its color-changing properties and unique appearance. The stone holds a few different meanings, but most of these revolve around fidelity and commitment to another, making it perfect for expressing eternal love for your partner. The opal has also been said to carry magical qualities and protect the wearer from harm or evil. In short, an opal engagement ring may be the perfect choice for any bride — from classic to spiritual and everything in between.
2. Emerald Engagement Ring Meaning: There is nothing quite as luxurious as the deep sparkling color of an emerald, especially when it’s worn as the center stone in an engagement ring. Even Queen Cleopatra herself had a fixation on these deep green stones for their beauty and supposed healing properties. Emeralds hold special meaning as well, including undying love and a lasting connection. Essentially, an emerald ring rings true to all a partnership can hope for in love and life. It’s also the birthstone for people born in May.
Emerald is a beautiful choice, but it’s also a great option if you are concerned about durability. Much like diamond engagement rings, emeralds are extremely durable and will withstand a lifetime of wear with proper care.
3. Morganite Engagement Ring Meaning: This particular gemstone is so rich and unique in color that it is almost impossible to name it by one single shade. Morganite gives off a rich amber color in darker places but reflects a light and shiny caramel when the stone is met with light. Some morganite stones also have pink or peach hues, and they pair beautifully with rose gold. This delicate stone has meaning connected directly to the heart and represents a deep love connection, meaning a morganite engagement ring is the perfect stone to send you straight to happily ever after! The only downside is that it is softer than stones like diamonds. While durable, it requires a little more TLC to avoid damage.
As you embark on your journey together, morganite serves as a reminder of the affection and tenderness that form the foundation of your relationship. It’s a tribute to love and nurturing, and it’s a sentimental and heartfelt option for commemorating your love and celebrating your future together.
4. Tanzanite Engagement Ring Meaning: Similar to a sapphire color, tanzanite is known for its rich and deep blue color. This regal-looking stone is native to Tanzania and was only discovered within the past century, making it perfect for modern marriages. Tanzanite is said to represent a rebirth or new beginning. The refreshing and pure meaning of this special gemstone falls perfectly in line with the new chapter of life that begins with a marriage, so consider purchasing a tanzanite engagement ring and fully embrace this meaning.
In addition to its appearance and symbolic significance, tanzanite is a unique geographical rarity. It’s found exclusively in Merelani Hills of Tanzania and is a true testament to the natural beauty and diversity of mother earth. Gifting a tanzanite engagement ring celebrates your commitment to your partner and showcases your love and appreciation for the natural world. An engagement ring featuring this stone is a conversation starter, and your bride-to-be will love showing it off.
5. Pink Sapphire Engagement Ring Meaning: The pink sapphire may be the most delicate and feminine of all engagement rings for women. Between the pale pink color and overall princess-like quality of the stone, pink sapphire rings are indeed fit for the most luxurious bride. It looks stunning in a variety of ring settings and pairs beautifully with most metals. The gemstone represents a number of important meanings, including passionate love, good fortune, loyalty and trust, all of which are important to any marriage.
6. Ruby Engagement Ring Meaning: It’s hard to miss the beautiful and striking color of a ruby. Choosing a ruby engagement ring is not for the faint of heart and is a beautifully bold statement. The red color of a ruby represents the color of love and passion. Furthermore, rubies represent royalty and importance, which is perfect for any Leo brides out there. The positive energy and bold meanings associated with rubies are perfect for an extroverted bride.
7. Moissanite Engagement Ring Meaning: Moissanite is one of the most popular gemstones for those seeking a conflict-free alternative to real diamonds. These gems are often mistaken for diamonds for their exceptional sparkle and brilliance, and they are eco-friendly and affordable. Moissanites are lab-grown, so they're a responsible choice for couples looking to minimize their environmental footprint.
What truly sets this stone apart is its incredible brilliance and fire. It’s a dazzling stone for a solitaire and also works well as a center stone surrounded by other gems. They are durable enough to withstand the tests of time, and they’re a stunning symbol of love and commitment.
Every gemstone carries unique properties and meanings. Whether you choose something that resembles a traditional diamond or opt for something out of the ordinary, buying a non-traditional engagement ring shows off your individuality and will surely impress your partner.